Day 15 of writing a Yellow Hoods spin-off

To say that I am surprised by where I find myself this morning after only 15 days of writing this book is a pleasant understatement. This six week challenge is far from over, with the greatest mountains to climb still up ahead, but so far I’m really happy with my progress. My goal had been to add a net 10k to my word count a week. When I write, I rip pieces out/revise as I go, so I can have a day that has a negative word count total but is absolutely the right thing for the story.

Over the first of the 2 Christmas holiday weeks, with my 3 kids at home, I’m surprised to find that I actually picked up my writing velocity, rather than stumbled and staggered. AND I had 2 days where I didn’t write (Christmas and Boxing day).

There are a few things that have put a big grin on my face and have me really excited.

  1. The word count of 30k, against a target of 50k.
  2. I’ve already hit the point where I’m starting to move scenes around and get the right flow. This is a major mental milestone for me.
  3. This is going to be a trilogy, as I’m going to let this series breath and allow each of the 3 volumes to deliver the right beats. I’m learning from previous books in letting stories breath. That said, it’s still packed with awesomeness.
  4. I’ve started hunting around for a cover artist, which is another mental milestone.

Most importantly, I’m finding a whole new groove for writing. Having cut my asthma meds down by more than half, and having changed my diet to cut my chronic pain down dramatically (I have more spoons!!), threw me for a loop but I’m on the horse again (mechanical of course) and it is awesome. I tear up a lot more, but it’s just manly onion cutting… sniff.

Fingers crossed the momentum continues, but so far, so good.

If you don’t know my Yellow Hoods, steampunk meets fairy tale series, check it out.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.